Couple things I wanted to get out the way, hoping that if I say them now, at the end of December, I can just point any idiots to the archive if they decide to say or do fucked-up shit.
I'm not putting up with fucked-up shit around here next year. Just so you know. Messages might vanish with no warning, so if you decide to type some long, accusatory fucked-up shit, either save a copy, or use a real email address, so's I can mail it to you, so you can post it someplace somebody cares. Your own site, perhaps.
Oh, you don't have one?
Well, you ain't using mine.
And use a real email address anyway. Ain't saying you got to use your real name -- I can totally understand not wanting to be associated with this place in the Real World, and (potential) employers do Google folks -- but if you can in no way, shape or form stand behind what you say, don't even bother saying it.
- If you're white and thinking of offering me advice on How to Properly Confront Racism. . . fuck you.
- If you're black and thinking of offering me advice on How to Properly Confront Racism. . . fuck you. Well, unless you older than me and actually got more experience with this sort of thing. If that's the case, though, you probably ain't wasting your time reading blogs, so I feel pretty good about that first sentence.
- Anybody else, I probably ain't heard your perspective, so offer away. Just don't be surprised if afterwards I say, "Wow, that's really interesting. I never looked at it that way before. And fuck you."
- Much of my humor, like the previous entries, is deadpan, and based on conscious violation of social rules/mores/manners. If you're thinking of correcting the nigger who don't know no better. . . I bow to your wisdom, and feel I cannot learn sufficiently from you in this impersonal venue. Please, I urge you to meet me, in person, and say what you have to say to me that way. However, see previous message re: Louisville Sluggers.
- Update: Because I just know it's gonna bite me in the ass sooner or later. . . sorry to go all semantics/semiotics/Matrix Revolutions quotes on y'all again. . ."Nigger" is a word. What matters is not the word, but the connection the word implies. It's quite possible -- I can give you some links to comments here, if you'd like, the most recent from Gray -- to make the connection without using the word. Alternately, it's possible to use the word divorced from the usual connection. Though we can argue all day about what "usual" means in this context.
Speaking of context, "The fucking fucker's fucked" is not only a perfectly grammatical sentence of English, it's also a meaningful one in context. From a linguist's point of view, anyway.
This is why we shouldn't be asked about usage.
But I digress. As per usual. Point is, just because I'm slinging the word around with abandon (which, of course, I'm not, but I like the expression), that don't mean other folks should feel free to do so.
Might be adding to this as the day/week goes on. Or idjits do shit piss me off.
Guess I could explain that first numbered point. . . although it's all well and good that you've decided to confront racism, do keep in mind that, thanks to that pesky white privilege, you could make that decision. And can decide at any point that you don't feel like dealing with it, because you're too tired or whatever.
Not all of us have that option.
Hence, your opinion is. . . no, "suspect" isn't the right word. "Not as valuable or informed as you'd like to think it is, " perhaps.
Yeah, yeah, it's horribly racist of me to feel that way. Was that your Racist Incident for the Day? Did it impact your enjoyment of life in any way whatsoever? Can you easily avoid dealing with my horrible, racist self by just not visiting this site?
Do you understand the words that are coming out of my
Not the choir of regulars, y'all's cool, it's the tourists I'm trying desperately to keep schtum.